In the swim
’Tis the season to strut your stuff! Whether you’re on a romantic remote beach vacation, at the country club pool or simply clocking in laps at your local gym, why not do it in style? Men’s swimwear for summer 2019 has never looked better or afforded more options. Here are a few things to consider when you gear up for the season:
- Tropical prints are hot. Whether you choose sophisticated botanicals, bold Hawaiian motifs or retro comic strip designs, this is the season to experiment with patterns. Anything goes if you’re tall, but for shorter guys, small scale patterns look more in proportion.
- Color blocking is slimming and always in style. Another flattering alternative: side striping for a modern track suit look.
- Unless you’ve been spending hours at the gym, a swim trunk that hits mid-thigh (a 6- to 8-inch inseam) is usually a better choice than a skimpy brief. (Leave the board shorts—knee length or longer—to the surfers.) Many new swimsuit models offer four-way stretch construction for a full range of motion (no sagging or bagging) and flexible waistbands that stretch up to 2 inches. Some feature built-in boxer briefs in a ventilating, anti-chafing mesh fabric.
- Many upscale swimwear companies are developing their own fabrics. Innovative technology has afforded so many great options: quick-dry properties, ultra-soft hand, built-in UV protection, anti-deterioration properties to resist the effects of chlorine and suntan lotion. Sustainability is of course a key factor in many of the new swimwear fabrics (think recycled polyester).
- A nice detail to look for is a hidden zip pocket(s) to ensure your valuables stay safely on you, rather than on your unprotected beach towel.
- Balance your perfect swimsuit with the right top. Be it a perfect T-shirt or polo, a short sleeve woven in linen or cotton (in a color to match the swimsuit), a lightweight crew neck sweatshirt or (always our favorite) a button-up linen shirt in white or ivory to show off your tan. While it doesn’t have to match exactly, bold graphic prints on matching tops and bottoms is a trendy streetwear look that will surely get you noticed (and get you into your favorite bar or restaurant when the sun goes down).